In any sport, there are three main factors that are responsible for your progress:
- Proper nutrition
Now we want to talk about an important part of recovery – healthy and sound sleep. Let’s figure out how many hours you need to sleep, how to get rid of a lack of sleep, and why quality sleep is so important to us.
Of course, for each person, the required duration of sleep will be different and you must always listen to your body. But on average, you need to sleep 8-9 hours a day for a full recovery. If you exercise regularly and want to achieve positive results, then your sleep should be at least 8 hours.
Most likely, you sleep less than that, and once again reading about 8 hours, you will be indignant: I don’t have that much time.
What to do? Try it! Set up an experiment and get yourself 8 hours of sleep for at least 1 month.
Then you will see the result, which is that due to better recovery, you will start to do more in the remaining 16 hours of wakefulness. Progress will be felt not only in building the body but also in the emotional state and work.
How to start your experiment and get your sleep in order
You will be psychologically more comfortable if you agree on a deadline with yourself. So, there is 1 month ahead, during which you will force yourself to sleep, you will allocate resources for this, taking up time from something important (family, work) or maybe even pleasant (social networks, TV shows). If you don’t like it, then in a month you can drop it all and swear at us in the comments. But, most likely, in a month you will already develop a good habit.
At the start of the experiment, you will have to set aside time not only for sleep but also for falling asleep. With today’s pace of life, frequent stress, anxiety, sleep disorders, and lack of sleep affect about 70% of the world’s inhabitants.
If you fall asleep quickly in any situation, then you are in luck. Then all that is required of you is to choose a time for getting up, counting from it 8 hours ago and every day go to bed at the set hour (for example, if you get up to get to work at 7 in the morning, then go to bed at 23 hours). It is better not to break the regime even on weekends, so it will be easier to normalize sleep.
But if you have problems with falling asleep, then you need to add another 30-50 minutes to this process, at least during the first week of the experiment. Also, medications containing melatonin (a hormone that regulates circadian rhythms) will help you fall asleep, which should be taken a couple of hours before bedtime.
What exactly is the danger of lack of sleep?
- Tissue regeneration slows down. After all, their recovery occurs precisely during sleep.
- Muscle wasting is observed. If a person does not get enough sleep on a regular basis, muscle tone falls, and training does not bring the expected result.
- Emotional fatigue appears. From lack of sleep, all processes of the nervous system slow down, mental activity and reaction suffer. A person’s desire to do something decreases and the usual work seems to be overwhelming work.
- The metabolism slows down. Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism by 30%. The body stops absorbing the necessary substances, and this provokes the accumulation of fat.
And a few more tips about sleep:
- Go to bed no later than 23:00. There is such a statement: every hour of sleep before midnight is equal to two hours after. At this time, metabolic processes are intense, and the level of hormones returns to normal.
- Make the light in the apartment dim in the evening – this helps you fall asleep faster (increases the production of melatonin). If in the evenings you spend a lot of time looking at your smartphone, then use the Night Shift function there (as it is called in Apple smartphones, in others it can be called a “blue filter” or something else). The point is to make the color rendition warmer and reduce the number of blue tones on the screen. Blues and cool whites inhibit melatonin production, which makes it difficult to fall asleep.
- It’s easier to fall asleep in the cool. But do it without fanaticism – you don’t need to turn the room into a refrigerator. In summer it is very comfortable to use the “sleep mode” on the air conditioner. In this mode, the air conditioner automatically increases the temperature by a couple of degrees every hour, and by the morning it can turn off altogether (but this depends on the model). As a result, you will fall asleep in the cool, snugly wrapped in a blanket, and wake up in a comfortable temperature.
- Heavy food at night will not let anyone get enough sleep, because the digestion process takes energy and does not allow you to plunge into a deep sleep. Try not to eat anything heavy a few hours before bedtime, but cottage cheese, kefir, or fruit will be just right.